Sunday 11 June 2017

Monster Birthday Wishes

I've been getting messy creating monsters this weekend!  The new set of Monster Nesting Dies from the recent Hero Arts release is such a fun set of dies to play with - perfect for the little monsters in your family!


I thought it would be fun to create a little set of monsters that could stand by themselves and could go with the more traditional card I made.  I know most of the kids I give presents too are much more interested in the present than the card, so I thought maybe having some monsters inside their card would make the whole card more fun.

To make the card itself I used the stitched cover up vertical die from MFT to create a frame and pieced some blue water colour paper into it.  I stamped a sentiment from MFT's Monster Love set (a useful set for monster faces too!) into the top panel then set about creating the monsters.  I die cut the 4 smallest ones from white card and coloured with copics.  I drew the faces by hand and added some googly eyes to some of them.  If you're not up to adding your own faces you could use the  stamp set I used or Hero Art's Mix and Match monsters which has lots of arms, legs, eyes and mouths and various random monster parts!


To create the standing monsters I die cut the shapes from folded card, ensuring you put part of the die over the fold line so it holds together, and then die cut another complete one to stick over the front to create the shape - you can see from the back view here what I mean.


For the orange monster to create the front I used a scrap of water colour yellow paper and then used some orange inks and piece of natural sponge to add some darker colour and texture to the front.  I added 5 random sized eyes and to create the mouth I die cut one of the smaller monsters again and trimmed off his legs and coloured it black.  To add a bit of fun I gave him a moustache using an old dragon fly brad that I just snipped the body and head off of!


For the largest monster I decided to make him camouflaged!   I die cut him from water colour paper and sprayed it so it was really wet (we're talking puddles of water) and then take some green reinkers and simply add drops and watch the colour expand out into the water!  You may need to keep spraying to keep it wet enough.


The eyes on this monster come in the nesting die set itself -  I just added them at a quirky angle to make it more monster like.  The mouth on this one was the tentacles from one of the smaller monsters.

Hope that gives you some ideas on how fun the monsters can be as its not easy to see all the shapes on the packaging!




NEWS FROM THE STORE


  • We've got the new release from Neat and Tangled and will get that in store by tomorrow along with restocks.
  • We have the new release from Lil' Inker Designs which is released on the 14th and will be in store on that date along with restocks.
  • We have the new release from Mama Elephant which will be in store on release day also which is the 15th (no restocks this time, new release only)
  • The latest release from Concord and 9th should ship tomorrow so customs willing we might have it before the end of the week.

Catch you later - enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Tara









1 comment:

  1. Those monsters are brilliant! I love the freestanding ones too, so creative and a fab idea for page tabs, tags, place settings for a kids' party etc!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team